Sunday, January 29, 2012

Any ideas out there on converting a home bar (closet) into a desk/computer claset?

we have an 1982 home that has a bar in the great room. we recently had water damage and need to rebuild the space. We would like to make it into a desk area for our computer. Any ideas or reference materials?Any ideas out there on converting a home bar (closet) into a desk/computer claset?
I had a closet in the downstairs bed room that I turned into my computer area. I bought a 6 foot piece of counter top cut 2 holes in the back for the cables and wires to keep the top clean.

hung some shelves on the wall for peripherals and disks and books . I hung bi-fold doors so that its safe and private if some one is in the spare bedroomAny ideas out there on converting a home bar (closet) into a desk/computer claset?
I did this at my last apartment... used an old solid wood door as the desktop. Used file cabinets to hold it up. What really made it nice was i went to home depot and got charcoal grey indoor/outdoor carpet which i used to cover the walls and the desktop. I used a big square of plexiglass on top of that and my optical mouse worked great on it. Then i bought 1x3 boards to hang shelves the length of the closet... used small L shaped brackets with the bottoms hidden behing the carpet (by making a small horizontal slit and sliding them). It all looked very nice and the shelve seemed to be floating. I put the speakers on the shelves as well as the wireless transmitter thingies and hid usb cords and speaker wires behind the carpet. Kept everything nice and neat. I also had my webcam on the shelf with the cord hidden. Remember not to set your computer directly on carpet though or will cause static. I have a huge oak dining room table with four leaves and i actually used one of the leaves along the back the desktop to set the puter and stuff on. You can buy the hardware to mount the kb under the desktop to give you more room on the desk. If the closet is not wide enough for file cabinets you can use a dresser if its not too deep to set the desk top on. That gives you a place to store your stuff and also can hide all the cords and stuff behind it. (Just be sure you still have leg room!) The carpeting on the walls made it look really nice without that "closet" look.. and is easy to pin things to so you wont need a bulletin board! Good luck!
  • d3100
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment