Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I would like to start selling my home brew to bars in Connecticut. How?

I'm 25 and been brewing beer since I was 16 believe it or not. I have friends that own bars and legally I can't sell my product to them. I have dreamed of owning my own brewery but right now I'd rather just sell my home brew to a few bars and keep it a hobby, see were that takes me. I'm not sure were to look for information on how to acquire a license to do this. Thanks for your help.I would like to start selling my home brew to bars in Connecticut. How?
You need:



Capital and lots of it. It is best to have enough cash to sustain the business for 3-5 years at a minimum.

A location to brew at that has been zoned for commercial/industrial business.

A license to do so from a state board of alcohol control or board of equalization.

Contracts for all supplies and retail sales so you will need to be bonded, thus more capital.

Get insurance for you stationary site as well as your business vehicles.

Get your IRS business number for tax and accounting purposes.

Do all the work yourself unless you do have a lot of capital to actually pay someone no less than minimum wage.



These will be the major things but be prepared for the little things such as accounting for every drop of beer you produce as the IRS and ATF (Dept. of the Treasury) will require it. No freebies, well alomost none.I would like to start selling my home brew to bars in Connecticut. How?
If your friends have bars they can tell you exactly where to get a license from, as it will be the same people they get theirs from ... Though it will be a different license.



HOWEVER



If you are going to be selling your beer then you may be in for a shock ..... You will come under commercial rules for hygeine, and everything will have to be inspected and passed before you can sell anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment