Thursday, February 23, 2012

Do I need a special license if I just want to use my car to drive drunk people home from the bar?

It would be like on a Wednesday, and the weekend.Do I need a special license if I just want to use my car to drive drunk people home from the bar?
I don't know what the law is like where you are. I live in the UK and you would definitely need special insurance. I know this because I run a few university sports clubs and if we are going anywhere and claiming back fuel allowance, then we need business insurance.



Since we are not making money on this and we need to take out special insurance, then I assume that if you are running your car as a taxi then you would need special cover. Check your insurance as it will say what it covers.



For example, my motorbike insurance says: Use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes including use by the policyholder in person for travelling to and from a permanent place of work/business but excluding use for the purpose of any profession, trade, business, employment, despatch, courier, messenger or food delivery services.



I would check with your insurance company, otherwise if you have an accident or someone claims to have been injured while you were driving them home (with drunk people and today's litigation society you never know) then your insurance may not pay out. I view insurance companies as a necessary evil. They are necessary and they are evil. If they can find an excuse not to pay out, they won't.
Like taxi?.....YESDo I need a special license if I just want to use my car to drive drunk people home from the bar?
As long as they aren't paying you, then it's not a business and you don't need a commercial license.
What a question. There are no special licenses for designated drivers. Sorry. You will have to pay insurance and have a license on a normal, everyday vehicle. Do I need a special license if I just want to use my car to drive drunk people home from the bar?
No.
If you are charging a fee, you need a special license such as a taxi license. You also need to inform your insurance company since you are now driving a commercial vehicle for hire. Charging a fee allows any passengers the right to sue you for injuries if you have an accident.
You would need a Commercial Drivers License with the passenger, then you would need a car or van that is registered as a commercial vehicle and you would have to register it through P.U.C.O. because you would have to file a quarterly fuel tax with the IRS. You would have to keep track of all your miles, fuel, repairs and on and on and on. all just to drive drunks home for a couple bucks......

No comments:

Post a Comment