Monday, February 20, 2012

BT home hub - 4 bars but no connection?

I'm close to throwing my Hub out the window in rage...



Wired, it works fine (although 15mb slower than I was sold). However, when I connect wirelessly via my macbook, I get a full 4 bar connection to the hub, but no actual internet. The hub itself has connection; I can access Xbox live through my console (wired) as I'm watching my mac try to load google for 10 minutes.



It seems to improve when I sit my macbook directly next to the router, but even then it's a struggling process...



Whatever this is it comes in waves of working perfectly to hours of no connection at all. Is the router simply crap, or can I configure it differently?



Many thanks,

Harry.BT home hub - 4 bars but no connection?
Wi-fi in the UK can use one of 13 different channels. If you have a neighbour using wi-fi close by, or some other equipment operating on the same wi-fi channel number, you can get problems. By default, the BT Home Hub comes with Channel 1 enabled on the automatic session. Many have found this setting causes repeated drop outs. Apparently, the BT Help Desk actually recommend you use channel 9-11 for best connectivity using the manual setting.



To change the Home Hub's wi-fi channel, logon as Admin, and do the following:



Home Hub V1: Go to Advanced %26gt; Wireless %26gt; Configure %26gt; "Channel Selection:"

Home Hub V1: Go to Settings %26gt; Advanced %26gt; Wireless %26gt; Configuration



What kind of security to you have running? Is there a chance someone is pinching your bandwith? As long as you are using the WEP key then this shouldn't be an issue but if you have security disabled for whatever reason then turn it on. You can also change your password, you don't have to use the WEP key so you could change it to something else then reset the router, booting off any unwanted users.



If this isn't fixing your problem than odds are it's a hardware issue and you should see if you can get a new homehub sent out.

No comments:

Post a Comment