Sunday, February 26, 2012

How can I make a bar converted from a 2-car garage into added square footage for my home?

We bought our home 2 years ago. The appraiser would not count this beautiful bar that was converted from a 2 car garage (inside our walk-out basement). Is it because there's no plumbing fixtures, is it because there's no heat or air directly blowing into the bar? It really doesn't need air, it's always cool, even in the summer. What would be the least expensive way to get this room added to the appraised square footage of our home?How can I make a bar converted from a 2-car garage into added square footage for my home?
I think this is largely up to the discretion of the appraiser. You should ask them why they won't consider it living space or what you would have to do to make it living space. I would say, it has to be permanently made to living space. for example, remove garage doors and frame in solid wall there. make adequate heating down there, insulate properly, have fully finished walls etc.How can I make a bar converted from a 2-car garage into added square footage for my home?
It could simply be where you purchased your home. I believe it is all about the state laws....not sure mind you, but I previously lived in Colorado and "finished" basement space would be counted into the square footage. Where I live now in Iowa, that square footage is not included as part of the overall space. Hope that helps.How can I make a bar converted from a 2-car garage into added square footage for my home?
It is not at the discretion of the appraiser. If you have heat and AC in the rest of the house, then it needs to be in that room also.

No comments:

Post a Comment